The Peabody Trumpet Studio is a groundbreaking one-of-a-kind trumpet studio that prepares students for the demands and reality of today's music world. We build the total player, with a focus on Artistic Development, Versatility, Entrepreneurship and Career Growth.
Our students are getting work! (Click here for a list of student employment since 2007).
The studio is led by full-time trumpet/brass chamber music faculty Joe Burgstaller (International Soloist, formerly Canadian Brass), who now resides in Baltimore after joining Peabody as Distinguished Visiting Artist in 2007. Burgstaller is a world-renowned trumpeter and pedagogue who has extensive experience as a soloist, chamber musician, orchestral musician, entrepreneur, producer and arranger. For more about his background please click here.
Burgstaller's teaching emphasizes creativity, connection, versatility and entrepreneurship, combining the best of traditional techniques with innovative mental training approaches that have their roots in the field's modern breakthrough discoveries of the last two decades.
Additionally, Mr. Burgstaller leads the brass chamber music program, in which the groups function as individual entrepreneurships, learning presentation, programming and business skills that have resulted in former groups presenting at Chamber Music America straight out of school. Mr. Burgstaller also leads a special 8-part series of masterclasses called "Change Your Mind, Change Your Playing™"
Visit the Peabody Conservatory Trumpets Facebook page!
Find out more
What makes the Peabody Trumpet Studio special?
- Intense and supportive environment; hands-on approach (studio size is 14 persons)
- 7am warmup/routine classes Monday through Friday
- Weekly private lessons
- Semi-regular French Conservatory-style lessons, given in front of the whole studio
- Burgstaller's Change Your Mind, Change Your Playing® 8-part Masterclass series for all instrumentalists
- Rotating one-on-one private warmup/routine sessions with Burgstaller
- Regular mock auditions
- Unique Brass Chamber Music program with a focus on professional development (showcases), programming and the Art of Presentation.
- “How I Made It” Skype series with young professionals who just won their jobs and are in the beginning stages of their careers (as well as some established professionals)
- Trumpet student government; our students are empowered and enabled
- How To Practice workshops
- Adversity training workshops
- Access to two major metropolitan music scenes and orchestras, including the Baltimore and National Symphonies and all the Premiere Military Bands
- Regular Private Career counseling sessions with Peabody’s Career Center
- Community Engagement Classes by Dan Trahey (Director, Baltimore Symphony's ORCHkids, El Sistema Program)
- Music Education Program with 100% placement record
- Renowned Recording Arts Program
- Performing ensembles include: 2 Orchestras, Wind Ensemble, Conductor's Orchestra, Now Hear This (Modern Music Ensemble), Brass Ensemble, Trumpet Ensemble, Brass Chamber Groups, Jazz Big Band, Latin Big Band, Improvisation and Multimedia Ensemble, and Early Music Ensemble