Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Academy
The Woodwind, Brass and Percussion Academy brings together highly motivated students at the upper intermediate and advanced levels to grow in a collaborative and challenging environment. The Academy nurtures students musical and personal growth through individual instruction, ensembles, performance opportunities, master classes, enrichment activities, special events, career guidance and feedback.
The Academy curriculum prepares students for college and professional level studies. As such, the program is for students who want to pursue a career in music, and for students with other professional aspirations, for whom music is their major non-academic endeavor.
For more information about our Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion Academy please visit our online course catalog.
Once you're ready to register for individual instruction in composition, please visit our registration page.
Peabody Class #: PP.700.500 01
The intensive Academy curriculum takes place on Saturdays at Peabody's main campus in the heart of Baltimore's Mt. Vernon neighborhood. Academy students must commit to the complete curriculum and attend classes and rehearsals weekly. Exact schedules may vary based on ensemble needs and theory class placement, but most schedules would be similar to those posted below.
Peabody Youth Orchestra
Chamber Music or Wind Orchestra
*Note that individual instruction lessons are scheduled Monday through Saturday based on teacher availability.
Audition Date and Requirements
Saturday, August 26, 2017
Wind and Brass Instruments
All auditions should be taken solo, without piano accompaniment.
Performance of a solo piece (Grade IV, V or VI – MBDA scale) that includes both technical and lyrical passages.
Selected scales including chromatic,harmonic minor and major scales through all keys, range appropriate for the instrument.
1. Snare Drum
• Long Concert Roll (from pianissimo to fortissimo and back to pianissimo).
• Paradiddles (alternated series), Flams (alternated series), Ruffs (drags), Flam taps, Flam accents
• Solo of at least 32 measures in length. The Solo must include rolls and dynamic contrasts. Suitable solos can be chosen from Intermediate Snare Drum Studies (Mitchell Peters), Portraits in Rhythm (Anthony Cirone), or any of the Jacques Delecluse books of snare drum etudes.
2. Mallets or Timpani (Students choose one or the other)
Mallet instrument (xylophone or marimba):
• Scales – B-flat, E-flat, F, C, G, D and Chromatic.
• Repertoire – Solo of at least 24 measures in length.
• Suitable solos can be chosen from Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba, and Vibraphone (Goldenberg), Percussion Keyboard Technique (McMillan), or any other comparable mallet etude book.
• Tuning – B-flat, E-flat, and F, using a pitch reference.
• Technique – Long Concert Roll from pianissimo to fortissimo back to pianissimo on all three tuned drums.
• Repertoire – Solo at least 24 measures in length. Suitable solos may be chosen from Modern Method for Timpani (Saul Goodman) or any comparable method/etude book.